Revealing the Dragon
They had met in August at Ridgewood High School while he was preparing the art room for another year of teaching. She was the new English teacher and had been touring the maze-like building with an entourage from the welcoming committee when she walked into his room and sent him back to when he had been a fumbling adolescent with a heart-skipping crush on her.
Ridgewood is based on my Pennsylvania hometown Union City and its nearby Canadohta Lake. I butted the two places together to form one municipality. Ridgewood is located somewhere in western Pennsylvania, more than a hundred miles north of Pittsburgh and at least twenty miles west of the Allegheny River.
In 1702, long before the municipality was officially named Ridgewood, French fur hunters and trappers constructed the village Amity as a trading post and traded with Native Americans and settlers migrating west along the Allegheny valley. Amity remained a trading post until 1747.
Myers County was then formed from parts of Allegheny County on March 12, 1800. In 1829, one Frank Wood renamed Amity to Ridge Wood after his mother’s lineage: Ridge, and his father’s lineage: Wood.
Ridge Wood grew into a sizable railroad town when oil was discovered in northwestern Pennsylvania in 1859. On May 27, 1861, tracks owned by the Atlantic and Great Western Railroad intersected with those of the Sunbury and Erie Railroad and was called the “Atlantic and Erie Junction.” Land at the junction was owned by Frank Wood, who sold a portion to the Atlantic and Great Western in October 1861. The railroad constructed a ticket office at the junction and, through a misspelling, it became Ridgewood.
The combination of railroad growth and the discovery of oil in northwestern Pennsylvania contributed greatly to Ridgewood’s development. The town went from a population of six hundred in 1861 to nine thousand in less than six months. Many surrounding forests were stripped of almost all of their valuable hardwood. Mills and farms sprang up on almost every conceivable spot.
This boomtown was chartered as a borough in 1863 and designated as a city in 1865.
His wife Nancy returned to the house that night, drifting from room to room looking for a locket she had left behind. He did not tell her about Lisa and offered no conversation to her during her visit. She asked him if he missed her. He told her yes, but he realized his love for Lisa had broken the bond of husband and wife that had stayed with him since Nancy’s death almost ten years ago. He pretended to grade school work as she searched the house. When she found the locket, she left him and the house as silently as she came.
Myers Ridge is an end moraine, which is a ridge of unconsolidated debris deposited at the snout or end of a glacier during an ice age. Pushed into existence by great sheets of ice more than ten thousand years ago, Myers Ridge is being destroyed by erosion. It is now a craggy remnant of the mountain it was those thousands of years ago. Its limestone bowels of tunnels and caves are eroding and caving in, making topside areas dangerous places to live and travel on. Its once populated farm community has almost disappeared. Developers from New Cambridge (a city north of Ridgewood) tried to put in a ski slope in 1975 and 1983, but citizens familiar with the hill know the area is populated with sinkholes—the kind of thing people don’t want to be falling into while skiing. Both attempts were abandoned and the ridge remains a hill of mostly woods and derelict farmland.
Myers Ridge is center stage for many of my stories because of its eerie history dating back to when it was called Haute Colline (French for “high hill”). It seems there may have been UFO activity during 1745 to 1747. Eyewitnesses claimed of seeing strange lights traveling the hill during the darkest nights. Many reports said those lights left the hill and gathered at midnight over the center of Lac Petit-Miroir (Alice Lake), then whirled like “dust devils” for several minutes before they vanished into the lake.
This phenomenon continued for two years until another unexplained event—this one vicious and horrifying—befell Amity (now named Ridgewood) on the night of July 7, 1747 when the lights swarmed over the town, hovered in the sky for an hour, then exploded into flame that vanished into thick ash that settled upon the town like tarry soot.
The lights were never seen again after that night. However, fever, madness and death seized most of the three-hundred-and-fifty townspeople for the next five days. Many of the afflicted suffered slow, agonizing deaths. Of the few who lived outside of town and were not afflicted, one was 19-year-old Ezekiel Wood. He recorded a grisly account about a fur trader who murdered his wife and two children while they slept, and then stuffed their corpses inside the belly of a slaughtered cow. Ezekiel also wrote of madmen setting fire to the town. Nearly all the homes destroyed had both dead and living inside. Ezekiel, who was attending the sick, managed to escape the inferno by submerging himself in the local river. He was the only known survivor of the blaze, and he became great-grandfather to Ridgewood founder, Frank Wood.
Fifty-four years later, the ridge received its official name in 1801 when Jonah Myers purchased the property from the state. Jonah Myers and his family were sheep and goat farmers during a time when the wool industry was strong and the farms there were stately oak and marble buildings. (Some of those buildings still stand, though the state has sold much of the land to corporations and developers.)
In 1891, Jonah’s great-grandson Norman Myers found gold and other precious metals on his property. He and his family hauled out ores, became wealthy, and occasionally squabbled over mining rights until, according to legend, Norman’s mines dried up in 1901, on the very anniversary of his discovery. Soon afterwards, Norman disappeared. Some suspected James McCoy, an angry business partner murdered him inside one of his three abandoned mines. Since no body was ever found, McCoy was never charged. He left town a year later and family claimed to see Norman’s ghost haunting the hill that very night. To this day, some people claim that his ghost guards a secret treasure, while others say he haunts the hill until his body is found and given a proper burial. All of his mines have since collapsed and the property bequeathed to the county by the few and scattered surviving heirs in lieu of payment of delinquent taxes and bank loans owed by Norman. In 1971, the Ridgewood Historical Society purchased the only standing entrance to one of the mines and turned it into a monument. They also purchased Jonah Myers’s home, last owned by Manara Dunn (see below). (The house was destroyed by witchcraft in a revised story about Manara and her warlock son, Owen Forbes.)
The tale of Norman Myers is not the only ghost story to come out of Myers Ridge. Norman’s only son Benjamin Myers was a famous playwright who became even more popular writing blockbuster screenplays for Hollywood. He and his wife Cathleen (Ademia Consuela Ramona Cathleen Savakis) lived in California but summered at their estate on Myers Ridge. Ben and Cathleen “mysteriously disappeared” from Myers Ridge during the summer of 1953, ten years after taking in their niece Manara Dunn.
Manara came from San Mateo, New Mexico to Ridgewood, Pennsylvania in 1948 to live on Myers Ridge with her Uncle Benjamin and Aunt Cathleen Myers after her parents died in a car wreck during a trip to Arizona. Manara, who was not with them because she stayed in San Mateo with a friend, was orphaned—she was 14. Her mother and aunt were half-sisters. Cathleen was born a witch, but she did not practice the craft. Manara’s mother was a half-witch. Among her belongings was a book of witchcraft that included spells. At 19, Manara conjured an evil magic—a demon named Angelina imprisoned inside green crystal by ancient magic—when Uncle Ben dug up the backyard of the servant’s house across the road. Angelina killed Manara’s boyfriend (Waylon Cruz), a petty thief but guilty of serious crimes by Angelina’s judgment. Next, Angelina killed Ben because of an affair he had had with a young socialite in New Cambridge several years ago. The woman’s minister father caught them in her bedroom and Ben accidentally killed him during an attempt to flee. Spilled ice caused the minister to slip and break his neck. Angelina killed Ben and his hunting dogs (his love and joy) by freezing them to death—her cruel attempt at poetic justice. She then possessed Cathleen and made her jump to her death that night at a nearby ravine (now called Widow’s Ravine). Intent on killing Manara next, the young woman stopped her by casting a spell at the crystal where Angelina’s earthly remains are imprisoned.
Manara filled in the hole (which is now surrounded and protected by a ring of mushrooms—aka fairy ring), burying the troublesome Angelina once more. Several months after Ben’s disappearance, his colleagues in California reported him missing. Manara covered up the evil events by using magic and claiming that Ben and Cathleen had left for a trip to the Bahamas and other islands in the Caribbean Sea, but she had not heard word from them. An investigation led authorities to believe that Ben and Cathleen died in an airplane wreck during a storm (after Manara magically forged their signatures in a transit log). No bodies were discovered in the wreckage. Through Ben’s last will and testament, Manara inherited the main house and property while the servant house and property was left to Lyle Stevens, Ben’s manservant and Lenny Stevens’s great-grandfather. (Lenny is a reoccurring teenage character in my stories.) Lenny’s father, who inherited the old servant house and property, sold both to John Gentry, who in turn leased the house and land to his cousin, Karrie Erickson (the mother of Verawenda Erickson. Verawenda is another reoccurring teen character in my stories.).